Hovingham Hall

Home Page Where to Stay Where to Eat Shopping History Local Information Tourism Business
Hovingham Hall

Hovingham HallFor over 400 years Hovingham has been the home of the Worsley family. The Palladian house was built between 1750 and 1770 by Thomas Worsley to his own design and is unique being entered through The Riding School.

The Worsley Family bought the Manor of Hovingham in 1563. They were an old Lancashire family that, according to legend, were descended from Elias, a giant who died fighting on the Crusades. Thomas Worsley designed and built Hovingham Hall. He was obsessed with horses and architecture and the house remains the product of the extraordinary fusion of these two obsessions. Thomas Worsley was a close friend of King George III and is reputed to have taught him to ride horses. It was this friendship and Thomas Worsley’s enthusiasm for architecture that meant when George III became King in 1760 he was appointed Surveyor General to the Board of Works. The popular sport of Cricket has been played in front of the house since 1858, when a Hovingham team took on an All England team. Today the village team plays on the pitch. In the days of the fourth Sir William Worsley, who captained Yorkshire in 1928 and 1929 and was President of the Yorkshire County Cricket Club for many years, it was played on by many of the county’s most distinguished players such as Freddie Trueman and Geoff Boycott amongst others. Today, the house is still lived in by the Worsley family and is a popular tourist attraction and a great place that provides a special setting and entertaining for events such as dinners, banquets and sporting events.

Opening Times:. The House is open from 4th June to 7th July 2007 but is closed on Sundays. Time of opening is 1.15pm to 4.30pm with the last tour of the house at 3.30pm

Address: Hovingham Hall
York
North Yorkshire
YO62 4LU
Contact:Sales
Tel:01653 628 771
Fax:
Email:office@hovingham.co.uk
Web:http://www.hovingham.co.uk