Ralph Yates and Sons was founded in 1845 by Ralph Yates who moved from Leeds to Malton with less than £5 in his pocket. Ralph Yates set up the Derwent Foundry in Railway Street which was in those days known as Water Lane.
The Blacksmith and Foundry business quickly grey, and this prompted the expansions into agricultural machinery manufacture. In 1895 the current shop was built as a warehouse with space to keep and display all the Iron Moulds until they were required at the foundry.
Throughout the 20th century, the business grew and worked very closely with the farming community which was and continues to be a major part of the local economy. From the early 1960’s the company gradually moved the emphasis of its business away from manufacture and over to Retail.
R YATES & SONS LTD is a supporter of Business in Action.
Section: Department Stores