Mrs. Mary Flint had a small Sweet shop adjoining John Read - Plumber & Ironmongery Warehouse (1889), J. Read & Co. - Ironmonger (1925), Harry Read – Ironmonger (1937).
The office next door was used as a Surgery and occupied by Mr. Charles Barker - Veterinary Surgeon (1889), Mr. John Abbott – Proprietor Malton & North Grimston Lime Co., & Coal Merchant had the offices next door when he died his son Robert continued the business until his death.
In No.2 Alfd. Stanley Brown – Drug Store (1937).
In No.4 Mr. Tom Brand – Brick & Tile Manufacture also in the office was Frederic Abbott – Corn Merchant (1889) & William Rowsby – Lime Burner (1901).
No.8 Raymond Read – Draper (1933).
No.10 George M Brown – Hair Dresser (1921).
No.12 Raymond Read – Draper (1925) in 1927 Raymond Read occupied No.6, 8 &12 Alfred Standley Brown – Drug Store (1933).
Mr. George Dinsdale (Poet) had charge of the Public Weigh. Mr. Dinsdale was born in Malton on July 18th 1818. James Horsley was in charge in 1893.
Mr. John Booth Nicholls (1889) had a Paper Warehouse down Messrs. Slaters' (later Longsters') yard, he was succeeded by Mr. George Masterman – Wholesale Stationer (1897).
STATIONMASTER'S – Messrs. Wm. Hopper Nicholson(1889), George Hy. Saxby (1897), Thompson, George Henry Stephenson (1901), James Lupton(1929), Proudfoot, Mr. William Brown was assistant Stationmaster and then Mr. Robert Young and Mr. Harry Young. Mr. Charles Kirby of Norton was the first keeper of a Book Stall at the Station and was helped by his son John and sold papers etc. on the platform, he also sold tobacco, cigars, walking sticks etc. J. H. Finley & Co. Ltd. – Tobacconist (1905). Messrs. W. H. Smith & Sons (1889) secured the rights to sell papers & books, the first manager was Mr. Minnis followed by Mr. John Lonsdale, (who gave recitations at the Liberal Institute in Wood Street, Norton), Mr. Hornsey and Mr. Matthew. Mr. Johnny Muckle also sold goods from baskets of Fruit and had a basket containing Tortoises which sold to the train passengers. Mr. Robert Jackson was the parcels man, he delivered all parcels sent by passenger train by wheelbarrow, later they obtained a parcels van. All the Shunting at the station was done by a man named Carter and two horses. Mr. William Botterill announced the arrival of the trains. It is hard to define where trade premises were because Railway Street has altered quite a lot over the years.
Refreshment Rooms at the Station were run by Mrs. Mary Kirk (1889), Frank B. Craven (1937).
Above R. Yates Shop was Sale rooms belonging to Thomas Ringrose – Secondhand Furniture Dealer (1921), Messrs. Kirk & Medd – Sale-room (1940's).
One of the roads leading off Railway Street was Wells Lane.
On one corner was B. Wade & Co. - Draper (1897), in No.8. Castlegate and Wells Lane, Samuel Clegg – Draper (1901).
On the other side of the road was Mrs. Harriet Lucas – Fried Fish Shop (1913), Jn. Horsley – Fried Fish Shop (1929), later taken over by Jackie Taylor.
In the Station Goods Yards was Anglo-American Oil Co. Ltd. (1933), Shell Mex & B.P. Ltd.- Oil Merchants (1933). 6th.November 1873 – Opening of new Ironworks (Read's) near Malton Station. Benjamin Robinson – Agent for North Eastern Coal Depot. (1893)
Go to GREENGATE