It is hard to imagine what Old Maltongate looked like. It had stone cottages which were demolished and rebuild in brick then later demolished for road widening.
We find No.1 to No.29 were demolished.
The house numbers of the other side of the road are all different, we go No.2. to No.28 then next door we find No.32 then we have No.36 to No.54 next door is No.62 to No.68 then a newly build replacement house and next to it we find No.80 & No.82.
No.4 Robert Burrows – Shop Keeper (1893).
No.6 Old Maltongate stood the public house called WORKMAN'S ARMS then THE SCARBORO' ARMS. It was a beer house in the 1830's, it closed on 31st December 1907. Landlords, John Mason (1864), Michael Johnson (1890), William Train (1893), Tom Putsey (1905). And a small shop owned by Mr. Cour. It was demolished and offices were built on the site, Mr. John Estill – Solicitor had his office. After the death of Mr. Estill it was taken over by Mr. J. D. Whitehead (1933), and later became J. D. Whitehead, Estill & Newey. Then Arthur Newey – Solicitor, later Dennison & Till, then Crombie, Wilkinson & Oakley.
Next door No.8 was Mrs. Elizabeth Delderfield – Butcher (1893), Mr. Henry Blanchard – Butcher (1897), later tenanted by Mr. Frank Ellis – Fish, Poultry & Fruit Merchant (1921) until the 1960's.
His neighbour was No.10 Mr. George Longster – Florist and Seeds-man his sons had businesses in Wheelgate & Yorkersgate. Frederick G Cox – Watch Maker (1913).
In No.12 Barnby Knaggs – Boot & Shoe Maker & Town Crier (1893) Mrs. Mary Botterill – Rag Merchant (1893).
Mrs. Brown had a Marine Store two doors away at No.14 John Edwin Gledhill – Marine Store Dealer (1897), Barnaby Knaggs – Boot Maker & Town Crier (1905), Miss Alethea Knaggs – Dress Maker (1913).
Several cottages and yards made up Old Maltongate.
No.18 William Owston – Watch Maker (1893).
A little higher up was a Beer house occupied by Mr. Jas. Bereft (1867), Mrs. Elizabeth Bereft (1879), it had no sign but was called THE HOLE IN THE WALL (1830 to 1880's). The entrance was up a passage not far from another public house THE WHITE SWANN. Landlord's Daniel Newton (1823), Benjamin Robson (1834), George Stokehill (1840), Thomas Tate-Smith (1848), John Ruddock (1851), William Graham (1867), Thomas Crags (1879), John Rowsby (1887), Fred Schofield (1905), George W Field (1913), Samuel Waud (1925), Charlie Clock (1933), Jn. Herbert Perrin (1937). There is a tale that this inn was very conveniently placed for the band that played regularly at St Leonard's Church on a Sunday morning. Apparently, once the sermon had begun the instrumentalists regularly became thirsty and would adjourn to the White Swan until the sermon was over.
A few doors higher lived Mr. George Taylor – Verger of St Leonard's Church and rang the six o'clock bell every night & morning – Lady Day to Michaelmas.
No.26 Henry Younger – Boot Maker (1893).
No.36 John Gibson – Printer & Teacher of Music (1893).
Also in No.38 Mrs. Marian Gibson – Shop Keeper (1893), Richard Harrison – Shop Keeper (1909).
On the other side of CHURCH HILL at No.46 Mr. Henry Bradley – Joiner's Shop & Workshop which had a serious fire, the shop. was later taken over by Mr. Mark Stubbs a Curios Dealer. It then became Mr. W. Wilkinson – Haulage Contractor (1933) also Garage later Mr. W. L. Lott, then J. W. Wilkins.
In No.58 lived Mrs. Elizabeth Harding – Shop Keeper (1893), Mrs. Mary Jane Snarry – Shop Keeper. (1897) Mrs. Cathrine Kneeshaw – Shop Keeper (1921).
No.64 lived Colour Sergt. George Edward Chapman (1905) later Mr. J.W. Gamble – Builder.
Mr. H Bullous – Window Cleaner & Town Bellman lived at No.76 Old Maltongate.
Near the lodge stood an old cottage of great age. It was tenanted by an old lady called Mrs. Smith. Having plenty of good old English Oak beams. The bedroom was of most interest, the wall being panelled with old oak and handsomely carved all round. On the far side of the bedroom the panelling can be raised up on hinges and discloses a recess in which is an old bed frame which can be let down, when closed no trace of the recess exists, it also contains an ancient fireplace. In the basement is a place which may have served as a dungeon. (circa 2000 a new house was built on the site).
THE LODGE was tenanted by Captain Copperthwaite, steward to Earl Fitz-William.
Just above The Lodge lived Mr. Edwin Ash – Auctioneer. He sold the salvage of Messrs. Johnson & Taylor's biscuit works after the fire.
EAST MOUNT was just piggeries and dilapidated cowsheds. Houses were built later.
Going down to Butcher Corner.
St. Leonard's Vicarage was occupied at one time by Rev. Robert William Elliott (1893), Rev. Herbert Gaussen M.A (1894).
Near by was a room used by Mr. T. Walker – Solicitor.
St. Leonard's House, No.45 was occupied by Mr. Richard Snow (1893), William Cooper (1897), Charles Rose (1905). It later became a Children's Home. Foster Mother – Miss Rebecca Harland (1913), Miss V Stockdale (1921), Miss B Parnaby (1925).
The Drill Hall was the British School, conducted by Mr. "Cadgey" Firth, and used by the Volunteer Battalion (2nd) Princess of Wale's Own York Regiment (A. Company) (1905).
Next No.39 Mr. William Douglas resided who was a traveller for Messrs. Walker & Co.- Brewers. Chas. Hy. Channon (1897), Abraham G. Fowles (1905), Miss Ethel Wood – Nurse (1922).
Opposite corner of Greengate, No.37 resided Mr. John Sawdon – Brewer for the Griffin Brewery Co., John Addison (1893).
No.33 William Tinsley – Builder (1893), Miss Kate Mann – Dress Maker (1913).
Lower down lived William Stamper & John Rowsby both bell ringers at St. Leonard's Church.
Mr. Walter Rowsby had a Boot Repairer business at No.23.
Then a row of houses in No.13 Miss A Steele – Agent for the York School for the Blind (1933).
The Public Pump opposite the White Swan Inn has been removed.
Two doors from the Christian Brethren Meeting House which was originally built for a Workman's Hall Mr. Morritt had a Plumbers business. 1851 his neighbours were Hugh Monaghan who made mint drops at the back of his premises, and Mr. Johnny Willows – Chimney Sweep. He had a sign-board denoting where he lived and his profession, it also had a house showing a chimney on fire with a sweep climbing up on to the roof to put it out and a verse:- John Willows he lives here. He sweeps chimneys not too dear. He sweeps chimneys up and down. Both in country and in town. He employed two men George Wilson & Natty Williamson who slept in the Soot House which was on Church Hill, and only washed once a week on a Saturday. Later Mr. Willows went into the Boot & Shoe business in Wheelgate and later in a China Establishment of Wilson & Co. in Yorkersgate and traded as Wilson, Willows & Co.
Then a road leading to the back of The Rockingham Arms Public House in Wheelgate next to the Old Post Office.
No.9 Robert England – Shop Keeper (1893), George Colby – Shop Keeper (1901), John Thomas Richardson – Grocer (1909).
In No.5 Thomas Potter – Cutfitter (1913).
In No.3 Miss Sarah Jane Fletcher – Dress Maker (1893, 1901).
In. No.1 Thomas Walton – Coffee Rooms (1893, 1901), Harold Watson – Confectioner (1921), Harold Bower Watson – Baker (1925), William Sedman – Baker (1933).
Go to THE MARKET PLACE