High Side of Market Place
At the top of the Market Place stood the OLD ANGEL INN which stood opposite the Town Hall were the bank stands it was demolished in 1791 and under the cellar floors, the remains of a earlier building were found (Coins of Edward II (1301-1327 were found).
22nd February 1705, Angle Inn in the Market Place John Rymer of New Malton and his wife Mary sold the Angle Inn to George Watson of Old Malton. Landlord:- George Anderson.
The house next door – William Palmas.
4th January George Watson, sold the Angle Inn to Thomas Wentworth. Landlord :- Samual Sewell & Jane Tayler (Widow), (George Watson died 1735).
No.1 St. Michael's House was tenanted by Mr. Edward Rose - Wine & Spirit Merchant then in 1893 it was William George Stephenson – District Auditor to the North Eastern Railway, Mrs. Philip Waddington – Seminary (1897) William Henry Smith – Cycle Agent (1901) then occupied by Mr. Francis Joseph Rhodes – Dental Surgeon (1905) Edwin H. B. Gooch – Dentist (1933) John Spiegelhalter – Optician (1937) some time it was LLOYDS BANK then Boulton & Cooper.
No.3 is now called Forsyth House, lived Dr. Joshua Hartley. In 1893 it was Herbert & Alfred Hartley – Surgeon's, Alfred Hartley – Surgeon (1901), Noel Constable Forsyth – Surgeon (1921), Mrs. Noel Forsyth – Art Needlework (1933). Later a Commission Agents then Boulton & Cooper.
THE KING'S HEAD HOTEL. Dates from the 17th Century but has undergone re-building. It was on fire 17th April 1913. Landlord's Geo. Nelson (1823), Hannah Nelson (1840), John Lund (1844), George Nelson (1848), Thomas Ruston (1851), Robert Ruston (1854), Thomas Ruston (1857), Joseph Harrison (1864), Richard Walker (1867), Mrs. Mary Ward (1879), King Harper (1887), Robert Goor (1893, 1897), in 1893 he was also a Tea Dealer he was also a Pork Butcher in 1897. Fred Schofield (1913), John Henry Hutchinson (1921). On the 17th April 1913 a fire broke out, and was one of the worst fires in town for along time, it swept across the archway into Mr. Foster's Draper's Shop.
Next door No.7 was Mr. Robert Stubbs & Son – Linen & Wool Drapers (1893, 1901), Francis A. Foster – Fancy Draper (1913), Charles Henry Wood – Draper (1921), William Henry Halton – Tailor. (1929).
Next No.9 was John Robert Nelson – Saddler & Harness Maker (1893, 1897), then William Parnaby – Ironmongers (1905), followed by Mr. J. D. Dodsworth – House Furnisher who moved here from Yorkersgate. (1930's).
The house next door No.11 was tenanted by Mrs. Tom Read – Millinery & Dressmaking Business, H. Smith & Son – Ironmongers (1893), Home Yeast Co. Ltd. - Yeast Manufactors (1893), M. A. Smith & Co. – Iron-mongers (1897), Alex. Dick - Confectioner (1901), John Henry Ludlam – Pork Butcher (1921).
No.13 Mr. Woolnough was the proprietor of Assam Tea Warehouse. Thomas Beecroft – Grocer (1893, 1897), Arthur Edwin Wilson – Grocer (1905), Sydney Taylor – Grocer (1905), William Hocking – Plumber (1933).
No.15 Mrs. Elizabeth Kirby – Confectioner(1893, 1901), T & S Kitching – Fruiterer. (1933).
No.17 THE BLACK SWANN HOTEL, 17th Century, it was rebuilt in 1741. Mr. Bielby, landlord had been there since before 1700, it closed in 1984. Landlord's John Gray (1823), Jon Smith (1840), Richard Gage (1844), Mary Cooper (1848), John Lee (1851), Misses Emily & Elizabeth Lee (1879), Miss Elizabeth Lee (1887), Emily Lee (1890), Joseph William Nendick (1897), Harold Jn. Bamford (1933). Alfred Stanley Brown (1929) also ran a Drug Store from No.17.
The shop adjoining No.19 was occupied by Messrs. Spiegelhalter & Fais – Watchmakers, Charles Kaiser – Pork Butcher (1893), Messrs. Fletch & Wood – Tailors (1897), John William Fletcher – Tailor (1901), now part of the Black Swan.
Then THE SHAMBLES.
In 1826 Earl Fitz-William moved the Cattle Market from the Market Square and built the present day Cattle Market and a Slaughter House. He removed a house in the Market Place to re-site The Shambles from the side of the Church, some of the shops have been converted into the Public Toilets. The Shambles originally Butcher's Shops. In 1901 Wm. Favin – Butcher, John Holmes – Butcher, Hood & Smithson – Butchers, Darley Nicholson – Butcher, William Smith – Butcher, James Smith – Butcher.
In No.13 Hebdon Shaw – Boot Maker, he later in 1913 took over No.11.
1905, John Lee – Butcher, John Nendick – Butcher.
1913, Andur King Inman – Butcher, Miss Mary Ann Smith – Butcher,Christopher Wood – Butcher, Mrs. Emma Witty – Fruiter.
1921,Garton's Ltd. – Seed Merchants, Harry Hood – Butcher.
1925, Kenneth Wilson – Corn Merchants.
1929 F. Inman & Son – Butcher’s Laister & Sons – Rope Makers.
1933, Rt. Kitching – Fruiterer, Byass Ltd. - Corn Merchants, Jn Cook – Butcher,Rt. Goodwill – Butcher, Thomas Hanes – Fruiterer, Silcock & Sons Ltd. - Corn Merchants, Yorkshire Farmers Ltd. - Agricultural Merchants.
1937, B.A.T.A. - Agricultural Merchants, Geo. Turnbull – Corn Merchants.
No.21 THE GOLDEN LION an 18th Century Inn used by the farmers attending the market. Landlord's Thomas Moon (1823), John Warwick (1834), John Ruston (1864), Mrs. Jane Ruston (1879), Thomas Saddler (1887), Christopher Jas. Plews (1893, 1897), George Ludlam (1905), William E Stansfield (1933).
Next door No.23, was Mr. Witham – Draper, William North – Hosier (1893), James Seller North – Watch Maker (1901), William North – Hosier (1905), Mrs. J. S. North – Draper (1925), Edmund M. Hall – Draper (1929).
No.25 Mr. Walter Taylor had the Butcher's Shop next door (1893, 1897), Messrs. John & George Stephenson – Butchers (1901), George Stephenson – Butcher (1909), Stephenson & Son – Butchers (1937).
No.27 William Edward Cass lived here in 1893, 1897. The York City and County Bank (1901), London Joint Stock Bank Ltd.(1909), The Midland Bank Ltd., (1925).
No.31 THE VINES a l7th Century building re-fronted in 1740, and was called The Board Inn in 1776. In 1823 it became Rose & Agars Wine & Spirit Store. Messrs. Edward & William Henry Rose then took over the Wine & Spirit Store (1893, 1897) then taken over by Scarborough & Whitby Brewery Company.(1933).
No.33 BLACK BULL was an 18th Century Inn It was demolished in the 1930's to make way for Newgate. Landlord's Joseph Etty (1823), Sarah Etty (1840), John Etty (1844), John Boulton (1848), John Pallister (1854) Sarah Pallister (1864) William Wray (1867) Mrs. Sarah Wray (1872) Mrs. Betsy Wray (1879), Henry Wray (1887), Robert Anderson (1905), William Rowsby (1909), John Thomas Glover (1921), Jas. Cheshire Moor (1937). Frank Lacey – Horse Breaker (1897) had premises in The Black Bull Yard.
Crossing over the road and going down the left hand side of the market.
No.58 Mr. Wood – Draper, he was a relative of Joseph Wood of Cropton who was murdered by Robert Charter (the Cropton Murder), which caused a lot of excitement in its day. Later was occupied by George Wilson – China & Glass Dealer (1893), Mr. John Craven Wilson - China & Glass Merchant & Artist's Equipment (1901) above was Valentine P. Jackson – Dentist (1925).
Next door No.56 William Kirby – Watch Maker who's business started in a shop situated where the Green Man Hotel passage now is and later transferred to the opposite side of Market Street then moved to the market place (1893, 1901).
Next door No.54 Mr. Spaven – Boot & Shoe Maker then Mrs. Mary Spaven – Confectioner (1893), Tobacconist (1901), Confectioner (1905), Miss Lydia Ann Spaven – Confectioner (1913), Percy Spaven – Stationer (1921)Geoffrey H. Sadler – Newsagents (1933).
No.52 Mr Anderson was succeeded by his son John Anderson – Gun Smith, Fishing Tackle & Cartridge Manufacture (1893), Gun Smith (1901), John Anderson & Son – Gun Smith's (1905).
Mr. John Farrow – Painter & Paper Hanger (1893) lived in No.48, then Miss Jane Farrow – Painter (1901), Mrs. James Walker Wilson – Painter & Decorator (1909), J. W. Wilson & Co. – Painters (1913).
No. 48a William Wilson – Painter (1937).
No.46 William Mennell – Sadler (1893), Mr. Thomas Mennell Snr. – Saddler (1901) then Mr. Mennell Jnr. but still traded as Thomas Mennell.
Next No.44 & 42 Messrs. Benjamin Leefe & Sons – Watchmakers & Jewellers later No.44 Benjamin Leefe & Sons (1925).
No.42 J. R. Leefe & Sons – Stationers (1921).
Next came No.40 Mr. George Hill – Cabinet Maker, later Mr. Dosser took over the business then Henry Hornsey – Draper (1897), Hornsey & Co. – Drapers (1921), H. Hornsey & Co. (1929).
Next No.38 Mr. Shepard – Painter & Decorator (1893), Mr. Shepherd's Paint Shop (1901) and behind Mr. George Foster had a Mineral Water Works which you entered through a narrow passage. The Shop was altered and became Messrs. Clough & Sons' Shoe Shop (1921).
The house next door No.36 were Robert William Peacock – Confectioner (1893), Mr. James William Clough (1897) lived was occupied by Mr. John Ruston – Confectioner.
No.36 & No.38 were taken over by Clough & Sons in 1921.
Then No.34 Mr. Edward Taylor's – Seedsman James Horsley & Co. – Florist & Seeds men (1893), Frederick Manning – Draper (1905), Miss Olive Moon – Draper (1929).
Low Side Of MARKET PLACE
On part of the Garden belonging to Mr. Langborne a little low built shop stood occupied by Mr. Severs – Painter, then Mr. Shepherd – Painter, it was rebuilt and occupied by Edward Read & Son – Outfitters (1927) John Hepworth & Son Ltd. – Outfitters (1929).
The house No.32 Mr. Frank Langborne where he lived in 1893, became the Conservative Club. (13/4/1909 Malton Constitutional Club decided to take the late Mr. F Langborne's house in the Market Place and it was opened on 3/11/1909 by Lord Helmsley M.P.).
Next door No.30 Mr. Robert Abram had a Shoe Shop (1893), Robert Barton Dickinson – Boot Maker (1897), James William Clough – Boot Maker (1905), George Leonard Horsley – Confectioner (1921), Frederick Cole – Baker (1933).
No.28 Mrs. Elizabeth Langdale – Milliner (1893), Miss Emily Jane Langdale – Milliner (1921), Mrs. Hilda Lightowler – Confectioner (1933), Charles McManus Umbrella Repairer (1937).
THE ROYAL OAK INN, a 19th Century Inn. Landlord's Elizabeth Revis (1823), George Gage (1834), Fewster Wilson (1840), William Fewster (1844), Ursula Wilson (1848), Hugh Wilson (1858), John Beilby (1867), John Potter (1879 1893), Walter Potter (1913), Samuel Waud (1933).
Next door No.24 was a shop occupied by Mr. William Taylor – a Gentlemen's Outfitters & Draper it was then taken over by Messrs. Fitch & Co. as a Furniture Department.
On the other side of Chancery Lane in No.22 was Mr. Robert Goldthorpe – Draper, later Yates, Nunwick & Wood then Hill & Jackson's – Electricals.
The shop No.20 Market Place was Mr. Richard Jefferson – Chemist then taken over by Mr. James Buckle (1893) and then later in 1937 by Laverack & Sons – Chemists. Before Mr. James Fitch came to Malton and took over No.16 to 24 Market Place. The row of shops were occupied by Mr. John Foster – Hatter.
In 1937 No.16 was Minster Furnishing Stores.
Next door was No.14 Mr. Tobias Field – Athletic Outfitter Baker Snarry – Saddler (1905), William Vasey – Shopkeeper (1913), Mrs. Marion Maude – Confectioner (1925), Charles McManus – Umbrella Repairer (1929).
Next to him was No.12 Mr. John Shepherd – Painter & Decorator. When he died his son James carried on the business and lived in the property (Business premises were in the other market square No.38).
No.10 was Messrs. W. Wilson & Sons – Corn Factors had a Flour Shop and they were followed by Mr. William Coulson (1893),who had Dining Rooms, Thomas Blanchard – Butcher (1921), Reginald George Hann – Butcher (1933).
At No.8 Mrs. Hannah Fletcher – Dining Rooms (1893) Mrs. Rebecca Pashby had Dining Rooms (1897), Mrs. Jane Wood - Dining Rooms (1905). THE OLD GLOBE HOTEL (No.6 Market Place) was built circa 1730 was a Coaching Inn. It was demolished in 1931 to make way for The Milton Rooms to be built. Landlord's George Bransby (1823), John Swales (1834), Hy Beverley (1840), William Jones (1844), J Elmer (1851), William Cornwall (1854), John Holmes (1858), William Dixon (1864), Jph Kilvington (1867), Jonathan Rieveley (1872), William Killingbeck (1879), George Tose (1887), M.osey Fras Walker Williamson (1890), Walter Blakey (1897), Arthur Farrar (1905), a workshop adjoining was Mr. George Pycock – noted Antiquarian.
In the Old Globe Yard Tranmer Wardell was a Horse Breaker & Dealer (1893) The Misses Lucas had a Children's School next door. In the next property lived Mr. John Wardman – Cab Proprietor Mrs. Wardman had a confectionery & eating house business – (noted for her hot pies), Mr. Neil Piercy (noted Antiquarian) occupied the house and shop next door his neighbour was Mr. George Smith – Tea Dealer followed by Mr. William Plowman – Tea Dealer. The next house & shop belonged to Mr. George Spencer – Fashionable & noted Tailor. Next Mr. Billy Cattaneo had a Toy Shop and next to him was Mr. Hudson – Barber. Then Mr. John Gibson – Architect lived where Mr. Channon now has his Office.
In No.4 Was Thomas Walker – Solicitor and Commissioner of Oaths (1897) also John Gibson – Printer (1905)
In No.2 Mrs. Marian Gibson – Printer (1897) late Fancy Repository (1905) Mrs. Mary E. Gibson – Fancy Repository (1921). In 1937 No.2 & No.4. Were Mrs. Mary Blanchard's Refreshment Rooms.
CENTRE OF MARKETPLACE
No.53 Mr. Amos Livesey had a Tobacconist Shop ( was
Schoolmaster of the Infant School in Greengate assisted by his daughter Miss.
Matilda, he was taken over by Abraham Altham Ltd. – Tea Dealers (1893), Mrs.
Mary Galtry – Draper (1921), Thomas Edward Hardcastle _ Confectioner (1925)
Herbert William Snowden – Tobacconist.(1933), William R. Brown – Tobacconist
(1937), Next door
No.51 was Mr. Arden – Watchmaker, William Field – Watchmaker
(1893), Frederick William Kitching – Hair Dresser (1937).
Mr. Robert Bartliffe – Solicitor was next door in No.49 then Matthew Boak & Son – Photographer (1893), & of Driffield. M Boak & Co. - Photographers (1905) Harry Edwards – Photographer (1909), Alfred Staples - Boot & Shoe Repairer (1937).
Adjoining him was Mr. Wilson then No.47 taken by Balloon Yeast Co. – For Baking (1901), Balloon Yeast Store (1909).
Now going up the side of the Market Place.
No.55 Mr. John Robinson – Tailor (1897) then Robert R. Parke – Corn Merchant (1913), Arthur Irving Parke – Corn Merchant (1921) had Offices.
Next door No.57 Mr. Rutter had a Grocery Business, John Taylor – Plumber (1893), M. A. Taylor & Sons – Plumbers (1909). In front of these premises stood the Cannon before being moved to Yorkersgate.
Then came No.59, a Temperance Hotel ran by Thomas William Harrison (1893), then he had it as Dining Rooms (1901), Alfred Kirk – Turf Accountant (1933).
The house and shop next door No.61 belonged to Mr. George Cressy – Barber (1893), and taken over by Mr. John Birdsall – Hairdresser.(1909), John Richard Birdsall – Hair Dresser (1929).
In No's 35 & 37 Mr. Bellerby had the Rope & Twine Shop he was succeeded by William Jones – Rope Manufacturer (1893), George Woodall – Rope Manufacturer (1905), G. Woodall & Sons Ltd. (1929).
Also in the Market Place was The Town Hall the Court day was alternate Saturdays. Mr. Samuel Walker was the first Town Clerk on his death Mr. George S. Cattle was appointed when he died in1928. Mr. J. L. Chapman was appointed. when he resigned Mr. George Harker was appointed he soon moved to Beverley and Mr. T .W. Preston succeeded him.15th.February 1877 – Fire in Malton Town Hall, building narrowly escaped destruction.
Go to MARKET STREET