History of Linton Pet Shop, History of Malton & Norton

Home Page Where to Stay Where to Eat Shopping History Local Information Tourism Business
History of Linton Pet Shop

Linton Pet Shop (known locally as ‘Linton’s’) has its roots back about 50 years.

The Linton Mill at Wintringham, near Malton existed since the 19th century as a corn mill. They developed a feed distribution network well before 1950. At that time they had a ‘Market Office’ situated in the lowest part of what is now Hopper’s newsagent at 48 Market Place. It was next to J Andersons Sports shop which is now situated in Saville Street.

In the 1950’s the proprietors of Linton Mill, the Late Norman Jefferson and The Late Edith Weighell, decided to change the market office into a retail feed business. Linton Animal Foods was born.

The business traded into the mid 1970’s expanding into the pet shop trade. The property became too small for Linton Mill and the Estate Company wanted the property to incorporate into a bigger unit. Mr Jefferson and Miss Weighell were offered the property at 59/61 Market Place (where we are today).

The building was derelict. After a lot of heart searching and with a financial input from his accountants, Croudsons (Now Townsend Harrison), Norman built a warehouse over what was the back yard and converted the upstairs to offices.

That was in 1977. Norman and his wife Pat then ran the business until Norman’s death in 1997. The business was then taken over by Denys (who was at that time principal of Chartered Accountant, Townsend & Co. in the offices above the shop) and his wife April.

Ten years on we are proud of the changes made to the shop (and the change of name to Linton Pet Shop) and are keen that the principles of good service will continue with pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable staff.


Author:Denys Townsend
Date:13/06/2007
References:This history has been compiled with help from Mrs Pat Jefferson

^Back to Top


History of Malton & Norton: