THE OLD BREWERY was founded in 1767. and is now a commercial
and housing development. It brewed its last best bitter (at an OG of 1036
degrees) on May 2nd 1969. Its history can be traced with certainty back to 1780
when it was owned by Walker & Dunlop then W.Walker & Co. Then John Walker & Co
sold in1892, Garbutt & Johnson of the Hovingham Brewery Dec 1893 – Chas Rose &
Co., Tetleys 1969.
THE DERWENT BREWERY arrived in 1771 owned by the Russell family who in1823 went in to partnership with Mr Witty, owner of the flour mill. In1840 Jas Russell & Son until In 1897 they again went in to partnership with William Wrangham of the Crystal Brewery to be come Russell & Wrangham, selling ale and flour. Russells, which was to be acquired by Melbourne Breweries of Leeds in 1958. Later they were taken over by Cameron's, who sold the site to make way for a supermarket.
3rd September 1878– Announced to-day that Messrs. Russells and Wrangham, of Malton, were about to form into a limited liability company, which was successfully carried out soon afterwards.
Russell & Wrangham was demolished in 1984 and the site is now occupied by a supermarket.
THE GRIFFIN BREWERY was sold in 1878 to the Castlegate brewing firm of Russells and absorbed into it adjacent brewery. The owner at the time was probably a Mr Kingston whose name is linked in ownership of the property as far back as 1840. Prior to that date the brewery was owned by various combinations, including Tomlinson and Kingston. The direst ends in 1823 when it is fairly safe to assume that the Griffin Brewery was in Low Street (Castlegate) and owned by the firm of Tomlinson and Co. in 1879, bought by Mr Botterill, who turned it in to a Furniture Business. Co-op bought it for it's first shop at No 56 Castlegate in 1901 later it was a clothing Factory. Now it is Stuart's of Driffield Fish & Chip Shop. The cellers of the Griffin are still under the shop.
Advertisements Malton Messenger dated 1859.
Griffin Brewery is selling yeast.
March 1878 Sale of Griffin Brewery at Malton.
25 June 1879 Sale of old Griffin Brewery Property at the Talbot Hotel, Malton.
The ALBION BREWERY. Established in 1830. William Wilson. Closed 1857. It was at the bottom of Castlegate. (ex Taylor & Brown's Site).
The CRYSTAL BREWERY.
Established in 1864 William Wrangham. To Russells in 1897.
Brewing until 1905. On the same site of Albion Brewery at the bottom of Castlegate.
MALTON BREWSTER SESSIONS. 9th February 1907. The following licences objected to Hare & Hounds, Old Talbot, Cross Keys, Prince of Wales, Criterion, Board and Scarboro Arms.
5th March 1907 Adjourned Brewster Session at Malton, Following houses reported for compensation, Hare & Hounds, Cross Keys, Old Talbot and Workman's Arms.
5th July 1907 N. R. Compensation Authority refuses the renewal of licences of Old Talbot, Scarboro Arms and the Hare & Hounds.
13th March 1909 Malton Brewster Sessions objection to renewal of licence of Spotted Cow, Malton on ground of Betting, Board Inn, Yorkersgate, Malton recommended for compensation.