1826 to 1842- Cattle Market, Gas, History of Malton & Norton

Home Page Where to Stay Where to Eat Shopping History Local Information Tourism Business
1826 to 1842

1826
  • In 1826 Earl Fitzwilliam moved the Cattle Market from outside the Town Hall. He removed a house in the market square and moved the Shambles to the present site from the side of St. Michael's Church; he also built a Slaughter House.
    Malton Cattle Market
1832
  • The Parliament Reform in 1832 quoted a figure to keep two members but the day before it was 6 below the required number, that night 3 women gave birth to twins, bring the population up to the required number. 2 Members were sent to Parliament until 1868.
1834
  • THE MALTON HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY was formed in 1834.
  • Malton Streets and Shops were lit By Gas in 1834. The GAS WORKS were constructed in 1832, by MESSR’S JOHN and JAS. MALAM. They sold them in 1836 to a company of proprietors for £4000, which was raised using £10 shares. In 1880 The Gas Co, was incorporated, by Act of Parliament, with a share of loan capital of £60,000 of which £25,000 is called up. The works had been enlarged since they were erected. (In 1890 there were three gas holders, with a total capacity of 160,000 cubic feet, and about 30,000,000 cubic feet of gas were consumed per annum).
1837
  • Two National Schools, one for boys and one for girls and an Infant School were built in 1837. The Wesleyan School (mixed) was erected in 1837, and infant school belonging to the same body in Yorkersgate.
    Wesleyan School, Greengate, Malton 1837
1838
  • The MALTON LITERARY INSTITUTE, erected 1838, is a brick building with stone dressings and contains a theatre, and is used for public meetings and entertainment. It had a Library of over 1,600 volumes, and residence for the librarian. There is a musical society in connection with the institute (from P. O. Directory for 1879).
1840’s
  • Around about 1840, every Michaelmas Fair there was a long stall at the bottom of the Market Place where everything in the way of fancy articles could be purchased. Other stalls with choose boots and even jewellery (Mr Staniland regularly stood there). Two shopkeepers were James & William Dunlop and one of the most popular inhabitants was Betty Sharpe, whose pork pies were in steady request.
In the 1840's the following Coaches ran:-
  • Malton to York Stage coach Poster
  • To Scarborough: The ROYAL MAIL from York calls at the TALBOT HOTEL at half-past nine morning; and the OLD TRUE BLUE (during Summer), at half-past three afternoon; and THE BLUCHER calls at the ROSE & CROWN at two afternoon.
  • To Scarborough: THE TRANSIT, from York, calls at THE SUN at five in the afternoon; and THE REGULATOR at THE GLOBE, at nine morning during summer; and the YORK BLUES calls at the TALBOT HOTEL, during summer, at half-past three afternoon.
  • To Whitby: THE NEPTUNE, from York calls at the New Talbot Hotel, at four afternoon.
  • To York: THE ROYAL MAIL from Scarborough, calls at The Talbot Hotel, at half-past three afternoon; the OLD TRUE BLUE, at ten morning, during summer; and THE NEPTUNE, at half-past nine; and the BLUCHER calls at the Rose and Crown, at ten morning.
  • To York: THE TRANSITE from Scarborough, calls at The Sun, at twelve noon; THE REGULATOR at The Globe, at two afternoon; and the YORK BLUE at The Talbot, at twelve noon. (OLD TRUE BLUE was running as late as 1845.)
  • THE CATHOLIC CHAPEL was built in 1840/41 and was dedicated to St Mary. It was erected by the Rev. R. Garstang.
    Catholic church Malton
  • UNION COACH ran to York from New Globe in 1843. After December 1843 it also ran from the Crown & Anchor. July 21st 1845 ran from Malton to Hull


  • Five large Cattle fairs are held annually:- during the week before Palm-Sunday, on the Saturday before Whit-Sunday, the Saturday before July 15th, on October 11th and 12th, and on the Saturday before Martinmas-day. The first is famous for the exhibition of horses, and is much attended by south country dealers, especially on the Monday and Saturday; and during the week races are sometimes held. (1840).
1842
  • On September 5th 1842 - Mary Ann Husband the only daughter of Thomas Husband of the Talbot Hotel married John Aback of the New Elephant Inn in Wakefield.

Go To The Next Article: 1843 to 1859- Corn Exchange, Railway



Author:John T Stone
Date:16/07/2007
References:

^Back to Top


History of Malton & Norton: